We believe Australia deserves safe, healthy, accessible, profitable and enjoyable climate-friendly streets that are welcoming for people and better for the environment. Better Streets knows exactly how to improve the streets you care about – and we’re happy help you take action in your neighbourhood.
What do great streets look, feel, and sound like?
- They’re safer – with comfortable spaces to walk, cycle and navigate, with quiet, low-speed, low-traffic atmosphere in your neighbourhood. Great streets feel easy to use.
- They’re healthier – by making it easier and more natural to walk, wheel or ride for short journeys. Children use great streets to play, stay active and move around easily outdoors. Better Streets get your body moving.
- They make people feel comfortable – by offering shade, greenery, seating, shops and cafes, without the constant roar of traffic or danger of collisions. Great streets are enjoyable public spaces, open to everyone.
- They’re important for Climate Action - by promoting a real change in how we use transport, making it easier for more people to embrace zero-carbon and shared mobility options. Changing the world starts by making our streets better.
How do we improve the streets of our cities and towns?
Engineers, designers, planning experts and innovative city leaders already have the solutions. Practical examples from around the world show how easily they can be brought to life, on almost any street. Here are our 5 recommendations for action in Australia.
- Get kids active Encourage 75% of children to walk, cycle, scoot, or take public transport to school everyday, setting them up for healthy habits for life.
- Slow vehicles down Adopt 30km/h speeds for local residential streets, and urban centres to significantly reduce avoidable injuries and fatalities.
- Boost local businesses Improve and expand beautiful streetscapes that people enjoy spending time and money in.
- Make more crossings Encourage walking and improve safety with 20 new or improved crossings in each council each year.
- Provide transport choices Add another 1,000 kilometres of connected safe, and direct cycle & micro-mobility routes per year.
The Better Streets coalition
Everyone wants to improve their streets, but we’re often doing it for different reasons. Whether you’re a part of a Parents and Citizens (P&C) committee wanting your kids to be able to ride to school safely, a business owner wanting to connect with more local customers, a cycling club, advocacy group or part of an urban planning network, the Better Streets coalition can amplify your voice and ensure your group is represented at a national level. Better Streets knows how to improve the streets you care about – and we’re happy to teach you how to take more effective, scalable action today.